Monday, September 17, 2007

Pet envy . . .

Aurrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, my plan to start playing World of Warcraft early tomorrow morning has been foiled by evil forces.

You see, the problem is I want the Collector's Edition of the game and evidently none of the local Wal-Marts are getting them in with the initial shipment. They are getting the regular version, but it doesn't come with all the really "kewl" stuff like the fancy cloth map and the free in-game "pet" for your characters. I am tempted to settle for the regular version, saving $30 in the process, but I know that every time I see a character walking around with a pet Diablo I will be incredibly envious and annoyed.

So, while I am going to do some last minute calling to stores in the area, I imagine I am going to have to order the game online from Best Buy. I won't get to play it til the weekend, but at least I won't have pet envy.

Oh, and for those of you who are not into online PC gaming, World of Warcraft is the newest, and probably best, Massive Multi-player Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) ever made. Everquest pales beside it.

Basically, it is a fantasy game (think dwarves, elves, gnomes, knights, wizards, dragons, etc.) that is played by thousands of people online at the same time. The game is expansive and complex and genuinely beautiful, and can be played for years. It does cost around $15 a month to subscribe, but based on my experience with the free stress test this summer, it will be worth every dime.

So wish me luck in the next three hours as I try to keep the faint light of hope flickering . . .