Monday, September 17, 2007

Pointy, pointy bras . . .

Pointy Birds
By Steve Martin

Pointy Birds,
oh pointy pointy.
Anoint my head
anointy 'nointy...

In line with my firm determination that this blog not turn soley to politics, I feel the need to move into a more historical direction. And of course, that brings me to "pointy bras".

Actually, what made me think of PBs, as I will refer to them from now on, was a visit to the blog Boudicca's Voice. Now her blog did not address this subject directly, but it did remind me of something I had noticed a few weeks ago while watching an old 50s-era horror movie.

In that movie, as in all movies from the 40s and the 50s, the women had pointy breasts, or rather, breasts that were encased in PBs. In fact, you can pretty much look at any movie, and if the women have big shoulder pads and PBs, then you can be sure the period is sometime in the 1940s or 1950s.

Some research into the matter discloses that the PB may have become most popular in the 1950s, but the 1930s saw the onset of bras with "quite separate cups" and the invention of "cup" sizes.

Prior to the 30s, the style was the very confining "slimming" style of the Flapper. The 1940s is described as a "utility" period for bras (there was a war on, ya know), but the movies from that era seem to be chocked full of PBs, so maybe only Hollywood had access to them. Finally, it appears that the 1960s killed off the PB (along with most bras for that matter).

It might just be me, but I think the wide-shouldered, pointy bra women in those 40s and 50s films look not only sexy, but also classy and intelligent.

So, assuming the things are not awfully uncomfortable, ladies, what about bringing them back? I'll wear a Fedora if you do.

UPDATE:

I woke up this morning and decided to fiddle with this post a bit by adding in some more information. Fiddle with a bra . . . get it?

I slay me . . .